The preparation of the Sustainability Management System (SMS) began after Polyus was admitted to the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) in June 2015. The SMS was developed in order to align our internal corporate regulations with ICMM’s sustainability principles.
The requirements of the environmental and social performance standards of the International Financial Corporation, as well as Russia’s legal requirements, serve as the basis for the new system. The SMS is an integral part of the Company’s target operating model. Business processes, the risk management system and also corporate strategies, policies and procedures will be adapted and updated accordingly. The system encompasses all stages in the lifecycle of assets. It will function within the framework of the annual cycle.
In order to effectively coordinate the Group’s sustainable development activities, the Group established a sustainable development working group made up of representatives from the Group’s functional units. Working group meetings are held every month. In order to focus Polyus activities in the field of sustainability the Group’s strategic sustainability objectives were drafted and approved by the working group. In order to underpin the strategic objectives and define the path to their realisation, three-year targets were developed. The working group will also monitor the Group’s sustainability activities on a monthly basis.
Sustainability strategic objectives were defined as follows:
- Sustainable growth and management of environmental and social risks to ensure the efficiency of each stage of the life cycle of a mine/asset: exploration, engineering and design, production and processing, closure and rehabilitation.
- To achieve strong financial results by adhering to sustainability principles in our operations.
- Achieving a zero injury rate through a world-class safety culture.
- To be a reliable partner to local communities in its areas of operation and maintain an open dialogue with all stakeholders, always taking their interests into account when making decisions.
- The Group cultivates a team of professionals committed to helping the Group achieve leading industry positions while at the same time adhering to sustainability principles.